Blogging on how content should be managed
It was quite exciting. We manage to tackle several things that were on our to do list for a long time.
The most thrilling result is a prototype towards a new direction for editing Pier. We call it the edit mode. When you toggle the edit mode on, you get access to all structures that are embedded in the current one via a mouse sensitive interface. By clicking on it you get an editor for that specific structure.
But, better watch it in action.
Another step forward was to clean the Settings and Edit commands. Now, changing the parameters of a component is performed via the Edit command, and not via Settings. This unifies the meaning of Edit throughout the various structure. In the process, we also added an edit pane when editing a text file.
We also retired the PRMenuWidget and replaced it with a simple parameter that is attached to an embedded page. The goal of the PRMenuWidget is to highlight the most specific link that points to the current page or to any of its parents. Now, you can tell any page that you want to embed to highlight the most specific link via:
We also fixed a couple of smaller issues, one being the return of proper error codes when trying to access an unknown page (404) or a forbidden one (403). This is particularly useful for getting Google Webmaster tools to work with a Pier instance.
All in all, we had great fun.